Seil Chat

A forum for Seil, Luing and Easdale
Seil Skiff Project

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Worth a try?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:24 pm 

Quote:
Tell you what Snoman, or anyone else, why don't you start your own Seil forum? I'll set it up for you and provide initial technical support completely free of charge, you just pay for the hosting and the domain name.

When my wife and I were considering moving to Seil we viewed Seil Chat as a valuable resource. It informed us about events on the island and revealed the inhabitants as an animated, stimulating and (mostly) intelligent group.
Since we have moved to Balvicar we have witnessed the installation of a new fish farm, erection of a wind turbine, the arrival of knotweed, proposals for a housing estate and radical plans to re-jig the sewage system among other things with very little discussion here. It seems a great shame that these matters have not been fully aired here as it could have allowed a consensus to have been reached on how best to deal with some of the events.
I believe that its worth another try to resurrect the more positive aspects of the original excellent anonymous forum and I would be interested in exploring Nicks generous offer to assist with setting up a new site for the use of everyone.
I don’t have any local knowledge or webmaster skills so I am maybe not the ideal person but in the absence of any other applicants I would love to give it a shot. Subject to clarification regarding the costs involved and the amount of technical knowledge required and dependant on Nick being prepared to assist and explain the responsibilities I would be prepared to have a go at running a forum. The original offer was made to Snoman and if he, or anyone else is considering the offer I would obviously happily step aside and return to happily watching from the side-lines!
Allan Coutts

Post subject: Re: Worth a try?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Allan wrote:
. . . dependant on Nick being prepared to assist and explain the responsibilities I would be prepared to have a go at running a forum.

I don't have time for a lot of hand-holding at the moment Allan, but there is no reason for me to be involved at all.

You can use Proboards

It is completely free to use, and is a hosted solution so you don't have to worry about that side of it. You are guided step by step through setting things up. I'll be happy to provide a permanent link from here if you get it going.

Good luck!

(I've changed your login name to Allan Coutts by the way, in line with our full names only policy. The alternative is to have your full name in your avatar).

Post subject: Re: Worth a try?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:53 pm 

Thanks Nick, I had a look at the site and it may well be free and simple but I discovered that its not completely idiot proof! :? Anyway I will definitely give it another shot and spend some time setting it up when this current sunny weather comes to an end. I would be grateful if you could indeed provide a link if I do manage to get it going as it wouldn’t stand much chance of getting noticed otherwise. It would be great if we could get people to discuss local issues online again but I will avoid providing a political forum, you have that well covered and I probably don’t need the aggravation.
Watch this space!!