Seil Chat

A forum for Seil, Luing and Easdale
Seil Skiff Project

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

If a user's posts are annoying you there is a feature built into the forum software that allows you hide their posts via your User Control Panel. (The link to your UCP is at the top right under the Seil Skiff and 'Forums' link)

Once in the UCP select 'Friends and foes' from the left hand column:

Now select 'Manage foes' from the new left hand menu:

On the right hand side you can now type in the name of your 'foe' or 'foes' and click 'submit'

Now when you return to the board all posts by your foes will not be shown. Instead there will be a line of text which reads:

This post was made by -foename- who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Clicking 'Display this post' will allow you to read the post should you want to.

Foes can be removed from the list so their posts display normally at any time by going into the same feature and deleting them from your Foes list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:01 pm 

Maybe I am out on a limb here, but I cannot envisage having to exclude reading any message from anyone who disagreed with me , and I would never have the temerity to describe them as a "foe".
Surely the whole basis of a FORUM is to stimulate discussion on controversial matters, and if one cannot tolerate opposing views and reply to them, there seems little point on designating them as a "foe".
I would be very interested to know just how this particular piece of advice came to be aired on this website, and what prompted it.
Maybe one is fortunate in not knowing whom one's FOES are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

jimcee wrote:
Maybe I am out on a limb here, but I cannot envisage having to exclude reading any message from anyone who disagreed with me , and I would never have the temerity to describe them as a "foe".
Surely the whole basis of a FORUM is to stimulate discussion on controversial matters, and if one cannot tolerate opposing views and reply to them, there seems little point on designating them as a "foe".
I would be very interested to know just how this particular piece of advice came to be aired on this website, and what prompted it.
Maybe one is fortunate in not knowing whom one's FOES are.

I put the advice up because I got to the stage where I didn't want to see a particular user's postings.

There used to be an 'ignore' button, a feature which I added (on request) years ago, but that modification lapsed with the regular forum upgrades. When I delved a bit however I found that something similar was now built into the latest version of the software under the appallingly named 'friends and foes' system. It works well - replacing the ignored user's posts with a marker but giving you the opportunity to read the post with a click if you decide you want to.

I put the details up in case anyone else found it useful - to ignore me, perhaps :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Admin

I've moved this to a more appropriate location.